This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Minor Head Injury


Most head injuries aren't serious. You don't usually need to go to hospital and should make a full recovery within 2 weeks.

Call 999 if someone has hit their head and has:

  • Been knocked out and hasn't woken up
  • Difficulty staying awake or keeping their eyes open
  • A fit (seizure)
  • Problems with their vision
  • Clear fluid coming from their ears or nose
  • Bleeding from their ears or bruising behind their ears
  • Numbness or weakness in part of their body
  • Problems with walking, balance, understanding, speaking or writing
  • Hit their head in a serious accident, such as a car crash

Also call 999 if you can't get someone to A&E safely.

How to treat a minor head injury

If you don't need to go to hospital, you can usually look after yourself or your child at home.

It's normal to have symptoms such as a slight headache, or feeling sick or dazed, for up to 2 weeks.

To help recovery:



  Hold an ice pack (or a bag of frozen peas in a tea towel) to the injury regularly for short periods in the first few days to bring down any swelling

  Do not go back to work or school until you're feeling better

  Rest and avoid stress – you or your child don't need to stay awake if you're tired

  Do not drive until you feel you have fully recovered

  Try to relax - stress can make headaches worse

  Do not play contact sports for at least 3 weeks – children should avoid rough play for a few days

  Take paracetamol to relieve pain or a headache – do not use ibuprofen or aspirin as they could cause the injury to bleed

  Do not take drugs or drink alcohol until you're feeling better

  Make sure an adult stays with you or your child for at least the first 24 hours – call 111 for advice if there's nobody who can stay with you

  Do not take sleeping pills while you're recovering unless a doctor advises you to

Contact us if:

  • Your or your child's symptoms last more than 2 weeks
  • You're not sure if it's safe for you to drive or return to work, school or sports


NHS Choices

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website