Free NHS Health Check
Helping you prevent heart disease, stroke, diabetes and kidney disease.
Everyone is at risk of developing heart disease, stroke, diabetes or kidney disease. The good news is that these conditions can often be prevented- even if you have a history of them in your family. Have your free NHS Health Check and you will be better prepared for the future and be able to take steps to maintain or improve your health.
Even if you're feeling well, it's worth having your NHS Health Check now. We can then work with you to lower your chances of developing these health problems in the future.
Who will be offered the Health Check?
Everyone between the ages of 40 and 74 years who has not been diagnosed with a chronic long-term condition will be invited for a free Health Check.
Patients will be invited in every 5 years to have this check up.
The practice will run clinics at both Carterknowle and Dore Medical Practice.
How will you be invited for the Health Check?
- All eligilbe patients will be invited in over the next 5 years.
- The practice will send either a SMS text messages, letter or make a telephone call to patients to arrange the appointment.
- If you are unable to attend the appointment offered please contact the practice to re-arrange.
- Should you wish to not have the check please contact the practice to inform the administration team.
What happens at the check?
This check is to assess your risk of developing heart disease, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease and stroke. You will only need to come in for one appointment as you will get your results within minutes.
- The check will take about 20 minutes.
- You'll be asked some simple questions. For example about your family history and any medication you are currently taking.
- We'll record your height, weight, age, sex and ethnicity.
- We'll take your blood pressure.
- We'll do a simple blood test to check your cholesterol level. This test will be taken from a small sample of blood taken from a finger prick test; the results of this test take only 2-3 minutes.
- You'll be taken through your results and told what they mean.
- You'll be given personalised advice on how to lower your risk and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Further tests may be arranged if indicated by the results of your health check.
For more information